These are your latest rugby headlines on Monday, March 31.
Shock bid planned for Rugby World Cup
A shock bid to host the Rugby World Cup from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates is being planned.
The move would result in the rugby calendar having to be ripped up if successful, with the aim to host the tournament in December and January when temperatures would be cool enough to play matches in.
The Times report the Gulf states’ bid will be heavily backed by their governing body, Rugby Asia, who want to build on the success of the 2019 tournament in Japan.
None of the three countries has ever played in a Rugby World Cup so World Rugby would have to change its rules if they were not able to qualify, with a host nation never having been chosen that hasn't previously been at the tournament.
“As our leaders in the Gulf believe, nothing is impossible,” the president of Rugby Asia, Qais Al Dhalai, said. “I foresee this as something that might happen in 2035.
“I don’t want to underestimate other bids, and I believe South Africa and other European countries might be interested as well, but if World Rugby worked hard on this with a solid plan it might happen in 2035.
“I’m in favour of a multi-city hosting model, not a single host. That’s proven to work in soccer. They have done it since 2002 when Japan and Korea hosted, and are doing it again in Mexico, USA and Canada in 2026, and then again with Spain, Morocco and Portugal in 2030. Why not rugby?
“A multi-host could be a successful story and a new model for rugby. UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia. Why not? The stadiums are ready there. It will be the most successful event in the history of rugby.”
The timing of any potential tournament would surely have an impact on the Six Nations, which would be due to start just weeks after the tournament if it stayed in its usual slot. It would also mean the club game having to sacrifice money-spinning festive derby matches.
But the potential riches such a tournament in the Middle East would generate are a big factor, with rugby desperate to increase revenue streams and tap into new markets. The tournament would be backed by sovereign wealth funds and big corporations in the Gulf.
Unions have previously expressed concerns over the region's human rights record and allegations of sportswashing, but such issues have not stopped other sports, such as football and boxing, cashing in. The Qatar football World Cup saw the soccer season changed to accommodate a winter tournament.
The next two World Cups will be held in Australia and the USA, with bidding for the 2035 tournament due to commence in the next couple of years..
Williams ready to make Wales impact
Wales and Cardiff star Teddy Williams believes he can make a big impact in international rugby after some impressive cameos during the Six Nations.
The 24-year-old lock came off the bench in four of Wales' matches over the course of the campaign and gave a good showing of himself, providing himself as a powerful carrying option and adding some energy to the Welsh pack. He even capped his 18-minute cameo against Scotland with his first international try, just moments after entering the field.
While he was left out of the Wales squad for the autumn internationals, Williams has had a fine individual season for Cardiff, making more tackles than anyone else in the URC during the first half of the campaign and being hailed a "defensive powerhouse" after a string of fine performances.
However, the 6ft 6in star - who captained the Arms Park side in their narrow defeat against Benetton on Saturday - still believes he has a lot more to offer in Test rugby, having not started a game in any of his six appearances for Wales so far.
"It's a good question," Williams said when asked if he felt like a Welsh international now. "I definitely feel like I'm ready to play international rugby, but I still haven't started a game, so I'm far from established in that environment. But I definitely personally feel that I'm ready to play international rugby.
"I haven't started a game and a lot of my game would probably be around my work rate, my engine over the 80 minutes. But I definitely felt like I added stuff off the bench in those games, so there was that side to it as well."
Reflecting on another winless Welsh Six Nations campaign - which ended with a humiliating 68-14 hammering at home to England - he added: "It was obviously a tough end to the campaign, I didn't see that coming at all. I don't think anyone did really. That was a bit of a shock and a tough one to get over.
"It's difficult to say really, because I definitely felt that there was progress, probably in that Ireland and Scotland game, and the last game gives you a completely different outlook on it. I enjoyed the campaign personally, it's always a good opportunity to develop up there, but it's just a disappointing way to finish.
"I don't think it was just another defeat, a Six Nations game against England in Cardiff," Williams admitted. "I hope that's rock bottom in my career, I hope it doesn't get much worse than that to be honest. It was definitely a tough one.
Eight-try Ireland thrash Italy
By PA Sport staff
Anna McGann claimed a hat-trick as Ireland swept aside Italy 54-12 in Parma to notch a long-awaited away win in the Guinness Women’s Six Nations.
The Irish last celebrated success on the road in the 2021 tournament and were coming off defeat to France in the opening round but put together a fine all-round performance as they ran in eight tries at the Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi.
McGann crossed twice in the first half and finished things up with another late score in the closing moments, while Dannah O’Brien slotted seven conversions in a near flawless kicking display.
Italy were up against it from the off, Valeria Fedrighi sent to the sin bin in the opening minutes after a high tackle, and Aoife Dalton was first to take advantage.
McGann followed with her first two tries and Amee-Leigh Costigan also snuck through, while Sofia Stefan added the consolation for Italy in a half-time score of 28-5 to the visitors.
Ireland second row Linda Djougang got the scoreboard moving again in the second half as they banked another converted try but was then yellow carded for head contact.
Dorothy Wall and Brittany Hogan forced their way over as Ireland continued to pile up the points and although Beatrice Rigoni converted her own try to reduce the arrears, McGann sealed things with her third dash to the line.
Saracens to rest England stars
By Duncan Bech, PA England Rugby Correspondent
Saracens will rest their entire England contingent for Saturday’s Investec Champions Cup knockout clash at Toulon after choosing to prioritise the Gallagher Premiership.
Director of rugby Mark McCall revealed that Maro Itoje and Tom Willis will complete their mandatory post-Six Nations stand-down week when European action recommences for the round-of-16 fixtures. And joining them on the sidelines will be Jamie George, Ben Earl and Elliot Daly even though the trio of England stars could be picked to face the Top 14 title challengers having not appeared in every match of the Championship.
Saracens’ decision to field their strongest possible side against Leicester at Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Sunday resulted in a 29-22 victory that propelled them within two points of the top four, boosting their play-off hopes.
McCall revealed that a Champions Cup draw that would produce a quarter-final against Toulouse in the south of France as the prize for toppling Toulon signalled the need to focus on the Premiership.
“We made the decision to do this halfway through the Six Nations. After we lost to Castres we got on the difficult side of the draw so we were always going to do this and those players are all off now for the next seven to 10 days,” McCall said. “They will all miss Toulon. We don’t have to do that but we will. We think it’s unwise not to rest them. It’s very important that they get rest.
“They have to do it in one of the three games after the Six Nations so we took the decision to prioritise the Premiership. Your hand is forced, to some extent. We’re just realistic about what’s possible.
“A lot of the English teams have done this, it’s not just us. We had our big game at Tottenham last weekend and it was essential that we had our best players playing. We will send our best available team to Toulon. We’re not going to send a pack of 18-year-olds out against Toulon, but we’ll also give it a crack with absolutely nothing to lose.”