Supreme Court declines contempt of court plea against the Punjab Govt for removing protesting farmers
A bench of Justices Surya Kant and N K Singh said the Supreme Court has been prodding the state government to open the highway.

The Supreme Court Friday refused to entertain a plea seeking contempt of court proceedings against the Punjab Government for removing protesting farmers from the Shambhu and Khanauri borders.
On March 19, the Punjab Police allegedly detained several farmer leaders, including Sarwan Singh Pandher and Dallewal, in Mohali when they were returning from a meeting with a Central delegation, and also evicted farmers from the Shambhu and Khanauri protest sites.
A bench of Justices Surya Kant and N K Singh said the court has been prodding the state government to open the highway. “The contempt petition is misconceived,” Justice Kant told the petitioner, who then withdrew the petition.
Punjab Advocate General Gurminder Singh, meanwhile, informed the bench the state had cleared the protesters and opened the National Highway which was blocked for several months for vehicle traffic.
Singh also said that Jagjiit Singh Dallewal, one of the leaders of the protest who had been on an indefinite hunger strike since November 26 last year, ended his fast Friday. “Mr Dallewal accepted water today and broke fast,” Singh submitted.
Following this, the top court also dropped the contempt for court proceedings it had initiated earlier against the Punjab chief secretary and the director general of police for not taking steps to hospitalise Dallewal.
The issue had come up before the Bench, while it was considering an appeal by the Haryana government challenging the order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court asking the state government to lift the blockade imposed at the border between Haryana and Punjab in view of the farmers’ agitation.
Must Read
Buzzing Now
Apr 05: Latest News
- 01
- 02
- 03
- 04
- 05